If you own your present home:
• Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
• Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required.
• If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the buyer.
• Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
If you rent your present home:
• Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any deposits.
At your new home:
• Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
• Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before the moving day.
• Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
• Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
• Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
• Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
• Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
• Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
• Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
• Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
• Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as food and plants.
• Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
• Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.